Resumen: In this paper, a Proportional Integral Derivative (PID) controller is proposed to regulate the dynamic response of a proton exchange membrane (PEM) fuel cell system and compensate for parametric variations and disturbances without the need of explicitly estimating or measuring them. As recognized in the literature, derivatives are difficult to measure or construct reliably in practice and hence, approximate them using finite differences is preferable. Such an approximation, if not performed carefully, may introduce undesired control activity and generate instability. In this sense, we propose to engineer the finite differences using artificial delays with the main objective of eliminating detrimental effects while guaranteeing the stability of the fuel cell system. The effectiveness of the proposed approach is testified by means of numerical simulations.
Adrián Ramírez. Using Artificial Delays to Approximate PID Controllers for a PEM Fuel Cell System. Memorias del Congreso Nacional de Control Automático, pp. 382-387, 2021.
Fuel cell systems; Time delay systems; Artificial delays
- Gomez, M.A., Egorov, A.V., and Mondi´e, S. (2019). Lyapunov matrix based necessary and sufficient stability condition by finite number of mathematical operations for retarded type systems. Automatica, 108, 108475.
- Neimark, J. (1949). D-subdivisions and spaces of quasipolynomials. Prikl. Mat. Mekh., 13(5), 349–380.
- Rgab, O., Yu, D., and Gomm, J. (2010). Polymer electrolyte membrane fuel cell control with feed-forward and feedback strategy. Int. J. Eng. Sci. Tech., 2(10).
- Sanders, S.R. and Verghese, G.C. (1990). Synthesis of averaged circuit models for switched power converters. In ISCAS, 679–683.
- Selivanov, A. and Fridman, E. (2018). Sampled-data implementation of derivative-dependent control using artificial delays. IEEE Trans. Autom. Control, 63(10), 3594–3600.
- Shahin, A., Hinaje, M., Martin, J.P., Pierfederici, S., Ra¨el, S., and Davat, B. (2010). High voltage ratio dc–dc converter for fuel-cell applications. IEEE Trans. Industrial Electron., 57(12), 3944–3955.
- Suh, I.H. and Bien, Z. (1979). Proportional minus delay controller. IEEE Trans. Autom. Control, 24(2), 370– 372.
- Taniguchi, A., Akita, T., Yasuda, K., and Miyazaki, Y. (2004). Analysis of electrocatalyst degradation in pemfc caused by cell reversal during fuel starvation. J. Power Sources, 130(1), 42–49.
- Wang, Y., Chen, K.S., Mishler, J., Cho, S.C., and Adroher, X.C. (2011). A review of polymer electrolyte membrane fuel cells: Technology, applications, and needs on fundamental research. Appl. energy, 88(4), 981–1007.
- Zúñiga-Ventura, Y.A., Langarica-Córdoba, D., Leyva Ramos, J., Díaz-Saldierna, L.H., and Ramírez-Rivera, V.M. (2018). Adaptive backstepping control for a fuel cell/boost converter system. IEEE J. Emerg. Sel. Topics Power Electron., 6(2), 686–695.